BILL’S NEW ENGINE!

In 1996 we built an engine for Bill, one of the guys with the Boise Thing Group.  It has gone 90K miles and is still making rallyes and day trips. Bill wanted to pull that engine and put it on his shelf as a back-up. We went down to Elko and picked up the engine he wanted rebuilt for this project. Tired but rebuildable.

this_is-the one

 

Gut pile of tin heading to the powder coater.

thisone02

 

Long block heading for tear down and machine work

thisone03

AM Thing case back from the machine work. Cylinder ports opened to 92mm (1835)

Getting parts ready.

thisone04

Counter-weighted crank was installed by Andrew along with rebuilt stock Con-Rods.

thisone05

Crank was 8 dowelled and SPG.
thisone06

High Volume Melling oil pump was fitted & sealed. We put about an ounce of light wheel bearing grease into the body of the oil pump to increase the pressure on start up so as to lubricate the pump gears. We used Permatex #2 for all studs and Yamabond #4 for the case halves.

thisone07

Installing the cylinder studs.
thisone08

After we set the compression ratio (7.0 to 1) Larry & Kevin started setting the push rod tubes.

thisone09

 

Final torquing of the heads
Andrew torquing the heads.

thisone11

 

Yes….we use cool-tin. We use the aircraft quality cool-tin because most of the tin on the market needs to be cut or hammered on to fit. The aircraft application just snaps on.

thisone12

 

When the tin comes back from powder-coating we will finish building and then install in a local Thing for burn in of the camshaft.

thisone13

 

Finish.

 

This entry was posted in Engines. Bookmark the permalink.